Friday, March 20, 2009

Dublin

Earlier this week, I went to Dublin with some friends for my birthday and more importantly, St. Patrick's Day (24 is just old). First off, it was extremely nice to be in a country where the language didn't sound like everyone had a chest cold. Dublin seemed a lot like what I remember of Boston, not exactly picturesque but still cool. The weather was great, sunny and warm, relatively warm but I'll take it. I also enjoyed the food, much more than in Holland. It was basically sausage, potatoes, sausage, repeat for 3 days and I loved every minute of it.

As for the big holiday, I thought it would be best to list the day's events chronologically, although the order is probably off.

  • ordered the "full Irish breakfast" which should have been called "you might not make it to 25"
  • went to the St. Patrick's Day Festival parade, I heard someone say they were expecting about a half a million people and I believe it. The parade was impressive, as parades go, but it went on a little long so we left after about an hour.
  • commenced pub tour of Dublin
  • was called gay by a 7 year old after I declined to put down my Irish flag after he told me it was illegal to carry if I was not from Ireland
  • went to St. Patrick's Cathedral, bigger than the NYC version, but less impressive
  • met a former Stanford football player, discussed coaching differences of Walt Harris and Jim Harbaugh
  • got lost, began search for friends
  • met some Auburn girls, ended search for friends
  • got in an argument with a Miami fan who didn't like the word 'irrelevant'
  • found friends, ate more sausage

All in all, a great day.

Wednesday, we were able to do some quality sightseeing which culminated with a tour of the Guinness brewery. Now back in Leiden, its exam-cramming time with all 4 next week. Not good.


O'Connell Street - the main drag


Not sure what this is


Waiting for the parade


St. Stephen's Green

No comments:

Post a Comment