Friday, April 3, 2009

UF reunion

I finished exams last Friday and somehow, my European legal education has already come to a close. Oh well, hopefully I passed.

My buddies Mike and Taylor from college flew in for the week and they were waiting for me when I got out of my last final. As I hoped, they were both decked out in Gator gear from the moment they arrived. Our first outing was Amsterdam on Saturday where Holland was playing Scotland in a World Cup qualifier. The streets were packed with Scots in kilts and Dutch in bright orange but both sides seemed to get along fairly well. The atmosphere was pretty nuts and it seemed much more acceptable for the three of us to sing Gator songs amidst all the chanting Scots.

Sunday, we went to the Hague for the day and then set off for Prague on Monday. Numerous people had told me Prague was a must-see and I have to say it lived up to the hype. The city is beautiful and more importantly, cheap. Our meals were usually $5-7 and drinks were around $1. I enjoyed the goulash, which is basically beef stew minus the vegetables. How can you beat that?

A couple random stories:
We went in a hotel to get directions when we crossed paths with a fairly famous American rapper. I've never listened to him but somehow recognized him and said "Method Man?" to which he responded "of all the people right?" Well said, Method, well said.

Later, we were exploring a hill that overlooked the city when we heard a voice coming from a loudspeakers down below. It was pretty loud so there must have been speakers all over the city. After the voice stopped, what sounded like an air raid siren started blaring even louder than the voice. This was a tad disconcerting and we figured it was either a test, a giant April fool's prank, or the Germans were back and we needed to hide. It eventually stopped so option 3 was eliminated.



No caption necessary


Peace Palace in The Hague


Prague from the Old Town Hall tower.


Prague Castle from St. Charles Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment